365-2-50

365-2-50

Thursday 17 October 2013

October 17th 2013

 
 
I shall break my own rules today and add 2 images, mainly as the one above was taken as I entered Bristol Zoo's Pavilion Rooms and the one below as I left. Both will remind me of a most thought provoking evening. Along with a couple of hundred other invited guests I attended (thanks to the National Trust) a pre-release viewing of a new film; Project Wild Thing. In summary this builds on the work of a friend of mine Stephen Moss who wrote a report for the National Trust outlining the concern that children no longer connect with the natural world - they're not let out. What is the reason for this was the subject of this film involving David Bond who sets out to be the Marketing Manager for Nature. The film is excellent, and provides a thought provoking insight into how we can connect with the uninterested children out there.
 
Some excellent points are made, which I'll not say here as the film does not go on to general nationwide release until October 25th, but it interested me as I'm intrigued by distraction behaviour, something which modern technology is accelerating. I would recommend anyone with an interest in why we (children of all ages) have lost touch with our natural world, go and see this film. Helen Gosh the new Director General of the National Trust made what I thought an insightful preamble before the film, set the tone wonderfully. I was impressed. The question begs itself then to be asked, does it matter if we don't connect with nature? The discussion will rumble on.


No comments:

Post a Comment