365-2-50

365-2-50

Wednesday 19 June 2019

Wednesday June 19th 2019


Another dull and grey day but I was determined to get out and about. I also wanted to give the Clio a bit of a run as it hadn't been driven in 2 months. Started first time as normal and with the wind in my hair I pootled off to the Somerset Levels. A hearty breakfast in Sweets Cafe and then a quick stop to a plant nursery nearby. But still no walk. On the way home I stopped in the village of Winscome and set off up the Strawberry Line walking into unknown territory. After a near mile I came across the infamous Shute Shelve Tunnel. This was the first thing created when the Cheddar Valley Railway was built around 1850. Today it is part of a cycle and footpath network and very dark. Normally it is lit by solar powered lights - however with the poor dark weather they were not working. We need more sunshine that's for sure. That said it was quite exciting walking into a black void which despite being able to see the far end, felt quite lonely and isolated when in the middle. 212 echoing foot steps, entrance to entrance.

No comments:

Post a Comment