365-2-50

365-2-50

Friday 28 June 2019

Friday June 28th 2019


My new 18 month diary, which begins on July 1st. Such a lovely present from Julie yesterday as my gift for the Wedding Anniversary (along with a book). I've never been a good diary keeper, which is a shame. I begin strongly, but then fade off. It's why I like this on-line version, I feel I have to do it, even though very few people read it. 

Diaries are what historians long for as they provide insight and nuance to a life. None of us know really, not deep down, what makes a person who they are. A private diary, or journal often allows self expression, which otherwise would be lost. I may have lost the impetus to write a diary when my mum found mine as a young 10 or 11 year old. I'd written how much I 'liked' Gillian Gilks, a formidable badminton player in her time. We'd been to an exhibition match as my father had been offered seats. I was mesmerized, both by the play, and, yes as a boy with those stirrings, Gillian Gilks. My mother had found my diary while cleaning my bedroom and read it. My father wasn't impressed she'd done that, as he believed diaries are private. Words were said. I got embarrassed and destroyed my diary. I can't really remember what was in there now, lots of tosh about being in love with Alison Suggett (and Gillian Gilks) and probably lots of tedious facts I thought amazing and important at the time. Gone now of course. My diary from yesterday is more a practical functioning piece of leather bound foolscap. It's lovely.

No comments:

Post a Comment