365-2-50

365-2-50

Sunday 30 June 2019

Sunday June 30th 2019


She's an old girl now, but I loves her. Our third car, spare car if you wish, is Julie's old Renault Clio. Bought at three years of age in Hungerford, it was Julie's long term gardening car. Given its small size it was completely impracticable, but a lovely comfortable car and served her faithfully for 10 years. Then in 2017 when the Clio was around 12 years old, Julie upgraded to a bigger Hyundai. With over 150,000 miles on the odometer, Clio was worthless as a trade in (I could see the disinterest in the salesman's face). So we kept her - or at least I did. Now used on high days and fine days she clocks up 2-3,000 miles a year. Sailing through the MOT in May this year, Justin who looks after our cars is astonished that at nearly 15 years old, she's in such good condition. Not immaculate but very presentable. And that's why I'm keeping it. It's like a family pet, a comfortable pair of slippers, or a long lost much loved uncle returning from swashbuckling adventures.  Yes a bit smelly at times, yes the odd bit drops off if roughly handled and yes showing her age, but passing her 172,000 miles mark as I pulled onto the drive, is I feel something to celebrate. I said to Justin back in May I'm ultimately aiming for 250,000 miles at some point. He looked skeptical. I know however, she can do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment