365-2-50

365-2-50

Wednesday 12 June 2019

Wednesday June 12th 2019


This was planned to be my posting for yesterday June 11th, but a light bout of puffin flinging took precedent. Therefore today as I passed the sign, a moment to take today's image befell me. Why yesterday?  Casually pootling along in the automobile I arrived at the Clifton Suspension Bridge around 30 seconds after it closed for the day. All week, it is closed from 0930-1530 for building work. I've mentioned before in this year long blog how the tollboths had been demolished to make way for new modern structures. They're almost complete and this week the bridge is closed to vehicles to facilitate 'bits and bobs' in this process. Walkers footfall is allowed, yesterday I did just that, although it made me 25 minutes late for work. Today I planned this walk with precision and by 0925 I passed this sign on the Clifton side. But what struck me both days was the silence. The Suspension Bridge is a vital conduit into Bristol from North Somerset. Closing it means that this area fell silent. I heard birdsong, I heard the wind, I heard conversational voices across the street, I heard the slush of cyclist tyres on tarmac. Above all I heard nothing. It made for a most uplifting start to my day. Silence is golden.

No comments:

Post a Comment