365-2-50

365-2-50

Thursday 7 March 2019

Thursday March 7th 2019


World Book Day today. Staff in the Arts office at work came dressed as characters from various books, which was enjoyable to view from afar. But for me these images represents a surprising aspect of my work, but one which has sort of followed me since my librarianship days. Being a radio broadcaster our department receives a lot of books in the post. Pre-publication press copies from publishers. The one above, an autobiography by Beth Lynch, was sent as a 'would Ramblings be interested? The one below sent as we make natural history radio. What is interesting about these books, is that they are incomplete. Uncorrected proof copies not for sale or quotation as boldly printed on the back of the jacket. Purely a sales tool, and I like that. The book below has an eight page index, but in this copy all pages are blank. When working in the library field in the 1980's we'd get many books sent as teasers to purchase more for stock. There is, for me at least, something comforting in opening a jiffy bag and out pops an unexpected book. I just wish I had time to read them all.


No comments:

Post a Comment