365-2-50

365-2-50

Sunday 3 March 2019

Sunday March 3rd 2019


Waxwing in pastel, by Julie. 

We both paint, my style is a bit more slapdash and always from my mind, I'm not good at painting an image while sitting there. Though strangely enough I can copy paintings quite well. Julie however is a master pastel artist. Self taught she takes after her father who was a fine pencil sketcher in his day, just for pleasure. Julie has always drawn and recently has got into pastel birds on black paper. I like this odd contrast, as most bird illustrations attempt to be lifelike and on pale backgrounds. I though like this black background, it challenges Julie a lot as some attempts end up being too dark. But when there is some colour to add a bit of zing, as in this waxwing, it really works. I just need to ensure Julie knows when to stop, and not keep fiddling with these. The greatest lesson in all artwork, knowing when to stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment