365-2-50

365-2-50

Thursday 15 November 2018

Thursday November 15th 2018

  

Harlequin Ladybirds. I was on the phone to my mother this lunchtime when I spied a plethora of Harmonia axyridis, most commonly known as the harlequin ladybird on the wall where I sat. This autumn there has been an explosion of harlequin sightings thought to be due to the hot summer we had, allowing for a 'good' breeding year. Given there are thought to be 100 different colour variations, this highly variable species first arrived in the UK in 2004, possibly blowing over from North America or deliberately introduced. It took until 2007 before I saw my first one, as it happens on the office window in the Natural History Unit. Since then there has been an explosion of what is known as the Asian ladybeetle in some parts of the world. I like the word ladybeetle. Classed as one of the more invasive species in the UK due to it's voracious appetite and rapid colonisation of England especially, harlequins are thought to be responsible for the steep decline in our native 2 spot ladybird. These images aren't great as my phone camera is not that fabulous, but I like this image of the 19 spot variety of the harlequin trying to hide behind some moss. I can see you !!


No comments:

Post a Comment