365-2-50

365-2-50

Monday 19 November 2018

Monday November 19th 2018


What an absolutely lovely day it has been today. Yet my image is one of a building. I wrote about this building on the 5th March 2014. Strictly speaking I wrote about a hole in the ground which was embryonic in it's desire for vertical dominance. Back then, the Texaco garage which was, or had stood here, been part of my life for years. Then in 2013 it was closed and demolished. Plans were a-foot. Plans came and went for flats, shops and a plethora of doomed applications. Time and again the hole was prodded by mechanical means, yet yielded no gain. The around a year back a sign went up - flats and a Marks and Spencer convenience store. Finally the phoenix rises. And I have to say now that the wrought iron balconies have been fitted this week,  it's a wonderful recreation of the Victorian terrace with a stark modernistic cube down the side. And I love it. Very clever contemporary architecture.

If you wish to read what I thought nearly five years ago, here's a link to that day in March 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment