365-2-50

365-2-50

Saturday 27 September 2014

September 27th 2014

 
Meet Bellatrix and Beau in a garden setting (I hope I have these round the right way now - got it wrong on Facebook). Two gorgeous barn owls in captivity and managed expertly by Chris Sperring MBE, the Hawk and Owl Trust Conservation Officer. I've known Chris for about 6 years now. I'd heard of his work before I met him but we work together on radio shows like Living World. Both these captive bred owls (1 year and 14 respectively) are used by Chris for educational purposes, often taking them into schools most conservation organisations don't go into, in deprived areas. Sterling work and I am honoured to have Chris on my list of friends. We've been trying to get together for a few months as Julie wanted to both see the owls but have a go at painting them. The moment had arrived and wonderfully photogenic they were - in two hours I managed to zip off 70+ photographs. Some were classic studies like below, others action shots of the wings and behaviour. I learnt something too today - the mottling scheme on the back of barn owls is as unique as our fingerprints - so individual owls can be identified by experts without the use of rings. How cool is that?
 
Such a wonderful morning to be near these majestic birds. A privilege. Thank you Chris (and Emma his partner).

No comments:

Post a Comment