365-2-50

365-2-50

Thursday 9 May 2024

Thursday 9th May 2024


I'm taking tomorrow off, we may go to the Quantocks or we may go to the RHS Show in Malvern. If we do the former this arrival is timely.  I'm thinking about the 75th Anniversary of the Richard Jefferies Society next year and one of the things I'm interested in is whether we can create some form of an event in Somerset, to places where Jefferies himself visited to research Red Deer - possibly his most natural history of books. What I mean is it is a species monograph in it's true sense, hunting, ecology, how deer fit into the landscape of West Somerset. Jefferies other nature writing books are possibly a little more esoteric and mystic in tone, how he feels being in the landscape, how the landscape feels. Red Deer is, though I've not read it yet,  a descriptive piece of nature writing. It will be interesting to explore the Quantocks a-new with this facsimile of his 1884 work in my hand. 

No comments:

Post a Comment