365-2-50

365-2-50

Wednesday 11 September 2024

Wednesday 11th September 2024

I watched the 2022 film Fisherman's Friends One and All last night. I'd seen it before but it is a lovely feel-good film. It may have been that or just a general idea but when I woke today I really had an urge to go to Boscastle. I used to go here regularly in the first years I lived down south. It's a two hour drive each way but back then I'd do the trip half a dozen times a year without thinking. Today I hummed and arrr'd over the distance. Then took the decision to go. As it happens I'd not been for over ten years. Until today.


It was worth the drive. The sea was spectacular from the cliff edge. A choppy turquoise Atlantic crashing against black resistant rocks provided a pleasing escape from the everyday. I spent a good hour sitting on a rock just taking in the sights, sounds and aroma of the sea hundreds of feet below me. It was memorising, and very much what I needed to reset my jangled mind. I forgot everything. Despite the village being very busy with day trippers, few people ventured up here on the cliffs to disturb my reverie. I'm very fond of Boscastle.

I wasn't completely alone though. My pen-pal Gideon joined me too. He loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment