365-2-50

365-2-50

Tuesday 23 July 2024

Tuesday 23rd July 2024


It's my choice but I don't often get let out of Bristol these days. Today however I had a rare trip to Broadcasting House to record five episodes of Tweet of the Day with Michael Palin. It's almost ten years since we last met, in Bristol in September 2014. Today I could have stayed in Bristol and done it all down the line, but it is always better in person.


I got to BH in good time, with about an hour and a half to wait. I'd hoped to go into All Saints church but it was closed so I mooched about having a coffee and exploring the streets behind the BBC. Then I had a chat to a security guard who pointed out George Orwell's office. His statue is impressive.

Before long Michael turned up in a very gangster like Range Rover belonging to Sketch Cars who I use for VIP work. The recording went well, Bob the studio manager was roaring with laughter, which was encouraging. All too soon we had to depart and that was it, it was all over. I doubt I'll ever work with Michael again, which is a shame as he really is a genuinely good person. We even chatted about my favourite sketch, the Cheese Shop, and he recited some joyous wordsmithing lines from that sketch while we sat in the foyer. Days like this don't get much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment