365-2-50

365-2-50

Friday 30 August 2019

Friday 30th August 2019


What a strange day and it's not even 2pm yet. This morning I was at Tyntesfield, before the first sparrows had coughed up a seedpod. I was there to be interviewed about the GPS project I'm leading for a National Trust podcast. It was so so strange being infront of the microphone, and I was staggered they had a sound man as well as a producer, assistant producer (elsewhere) and the presenter. Old school recording that - where everyone had one role and concentrated on that. It was fun, though I guess the real aim of the podcast was interviewing James Aldred the famous tree climber. My dulcet tones will drift across the airwaves for a few seconds at most.

Drifting across the soundscape this lunchtime was a musical protest, organised by the Extinction Rebellion group. Taking their theme from the film Star Wars, their aim was to promote "The Film Industry Strikes Back" day of action in September to discuss climate change. I have to say as a protest goes, playing classical music did bring in the crowds and a lot of passers by on their lunch-break stopped and chatted to the protesters. More rumbustious protests should take note - gently does it brings in the mainstream, which is where the real change comes from. And they played very well, considering as I'd found out afterwards, this was an association of different Bristol musical groups, playing for the first time together. 




No comments:

Post a Comment