365-2-50

365-2-50

Wednesday 24 July 2019

Wednesday July 24th 2019


I had a brief visit to Hawkesbury & Inglestone common this evening. In between my mad dashes between social engagements. Having a day off, I planned to catch up with friends, plus deliver some training of volunteers at Tyntesfield. It was hot. Too hot.  With the two volunteers trained up for next week, by 12.30pm I was on the road to Thornbury to catch up with Rob, a long term friend. We met at the Hawkes House Cafe in Thornbury, the aim being to have a lite bite then go and do some bird watching or similar. It was hot. Too hot. We thus stayed in the shade at the cafe for over 4 hours. the wildlife watching can wait. In between that and catching up with my friend Sheena at 7pm, I had an hour to spare. 

Hawkesbury & Inglestone common used to be a regular haunt of mine. Nightingales once split the night-silence here, I once heard three singing together. They no longer sing here sadly. Sloes were an autumnal harvest here for the making of a most potent sloe gin. Yet for nearly 2 decades my feet failed to tread the earth on this lovely oasis in south Gloucestershire. Until today. Not long enough but just long enough to take in the abundant wildflowers and feel a refreshing breeze across the open landscape. Then, a dash back to Hambrook, just outside Bristol, more chatting and socializing over a ham, egg and chips (with chutney? a first for me) and home by 11pm, only 13 hours after setting off.

At 11pm, it was still hot. 21 degrees hot and dark.

No comments:

Post a Comment