365-2-50

365-2-50

Saturday 27 July 2019

Saturday July 27th 2019


I feel extraordinary tired today. Partly a result of the heat of the preceding week, which made sleeping difficult. But also last night we went on a nightjar walk with Chris Sperring. Organised by the Mendip Society this 2030-2230 walk across Priddy Mineries in the search for nightjars was a lovely way to end the week stuck indoors.  A good turn out of nearly 30 people and as what often happens to me I got involved as the backs man, bringing up the rear the ensure no one became lost in the swamp (not that I'd have done anything if they had). In the two hours we heard a single nightjar a long way off but also a very close and obliging grasshopper warbler. First one I've heard in decades. So after a quick chat with Chris, home and into bed by midnight.  Today I have done very little and just watched the clouds rolling across the garden as I dozed in a way only a late middle-aged man can do with some style and poise. Getting up off the lawn however is altogether less graceful.  

No comments:

Post a Comment