365-2-50

365-2-50

Friday 12 July 2019

Friday July 12th 2019


I can't imaging having a job that is routine. A job where I know what I'll be doing as I walk into work? I've never had a job like that. Some trades, maybe a baker, butcher or candlestick maker must have a routine. Making bread, opening the shop at 9am, cashing up and home. For years I've walked into the office and while there are some routines, often they're pushed sideways into the grass. Today was  good example. 

Around 11am, an e-mail arrived from London studios. After a veritable blizzard of phone calls and emails, by 2pm we were set up to record a presenter in Bristol, talking to a contributor in the United States. In the old days ISDN's ruled the recording airwaves. Now, in America especially new ways of connecting exist. I'd not come across this term ProntoNet before but by 5pm, the job was done. The presenter who'd come in from Swindon was happy and presumably at some point there'll be a programme. I played my small part behind the scenes and as I write this at 6pm, calm has descended.

And in between all of this I became embroiled in a kit recording discussion, based on some phasing which happened in a recording on the Isle of May. The kit has just returned to my desk, and so after publishing this, it will be time to tidy up and put everything away.

No comments:

Post a Comment