365-2-50

365-2-50

Thursday 16 May 2019

Thursday May 16th 2019


Hodder's Combe in Somerset is one of many many places I've not visited before. This steep sided Combe near Nether Stowey is a haven for wildlife, utilising the sessile oaks which dominate this landscape. I had a day off today and so with backpack laden with jam sandwiches, I headed off in search of a pied flycatcher. Never in a million years did I expect to find one, but there in this image, for all to see, a male pied flycatcher. To be honest I stumbled across this bird after many many searches as I walked. Technically it stumbled across me, as it flew across the path and into a tree. I quickly took a number of photographs before it disappeared and aside from a very brief re-show, I never saw it again. Looking at the camera images I thought I'd failed to photograph it. But at home on a bigger screen, there he sits. A life tick for me. Sadly though at home I listened to some recordings I made and discovered to my horror the lovely piece I did watching grey wagtails display flying, was not captured. I remember banging the recording device by accident but failed to note it had stopped recording. It happens to the best of us, or in my case, to the complete numpty in the Quantocks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment