365-2-50

365-2-50

Friday 3 May 2019

Friday May 3rd 2019


It is my last day in East Boldon and just before heading off to bed I had a notion to take some sepia images of my parents house. At nearly 200 years old I often wonder who wandered through its rooms since the first occupants in 1831.  Back then William IV was on the throne, the Prime Minister was Viscount Grey and on the 27th December Charles Darwin set off in HMS Beagle on what was to be an groundbreaking voyage of discovery. And only 16 years after the Napolionic Wars. A real sence of history is in this house, therefore it seems fitting to take some sepia photographs. Just snaps this time but it's given me an idea to return and with subtle lighting try and recreate the atmosphere of late Georgian England.

Nearly thirty years later in 1859, the Ordnance Survey recorded Boldon for the first time and my parents house is there plain to see, opposite the smithy, and long before the two cottages were built at around 1900 in the lower portion of the back garden.  It is only recently this layout has changed with the arrival of modern houses.


No comments:

Post a Comment