365-2-50

365-2-50

Saturday 28 September 2024

Saturday 28th September 2024

 


The reason I took this image of the M5 between Clevedon and Gordano is that nearly eleven years ago I spent three hours stationary here after the motorway was closed due to an accident. Then I was on my way into the office and it developed into what was the second ever posting on this blog. Today I was a passenger, quite unusual for me, heading to the Watermill Theatre near Newbury. I just had the urge to mark this spot years later as we drove by.


The image gives away the theatre production we'd come to see, the King's Speech. We got here just after 12 noon, with a lunch booked before the performance. The restaurant here does a lovely pre show menus, today Julie had roast vegetables with chickpea pie followed by fruit salad, and I went for the chicken followed by apple and bramble crumble.


We had around an hour to kill before the performance so sat outside in the sun just absorbing the atmosphere. The play was superbly acted, possibly the best performance we'd seen at the Watermill. It was truly outstanding. How this small theatre puts on brilliant productions time and time again I'll never know, but they do. And that is recognised by the trade as this year they've won the Stage's Top Theatre of the Year award. That's some achievement for a theatre that's lost it's Arts Council funding too. 

Just a lovely, lovely day in West Berkshire by a chalk stream, watching a fabulous play.

No comments:

Post a Comment