365-2-50

365-2-50

Saturday 6 July 2024

Saturday 6th July 2024

Dream in Colours, Steve's new band

Well that's closure. I've followed the band Show of Hands since the late 1990's. I think my first ever concert of theirs was part of the Nailsea Folk Club sessions and they performed in the Tithe Barn. But as they say all good things come to an end, and tonight Steve, Phil and Miranda performed for the very last time. They're going on to do other things but by closing the band they're also closing their brainchild the lovely Abbotsbury Family Festival for good too. After 25 years, it was a night of finality but very upbeat.

I first came to the festival around 2006, though I can't remember it. Then on July 3rd 2010 I remember seeing Adrian Edmondson's Bad Shepherds performing riotously. In 2014 I came and Julie and I saw the fantastic Sheelanagig perform, I wrote about it on this blog (July 5th). But the real stars of the day were always Show of Hands. Somehow ten years have since passed and so last October when I saw this was to be both their final performance and the final ever Abbotsbury Festival I instantly booked tickets.


Phil, Steve and Miranda's afternoon set

It was hilarious when Julie and I first got there a little before 1pm. The West Lawn wasn't open for another half an hour so we joined the back of the queue, a queue like I've never seen before, seated visitors (of a certain age) snaking through the Abbotsbury Sub-Tropical Garden for miles it seemed. Joining the back of the line we only had a twenty minute wait then we joined the melee to pitch our chairs at the best spot on the Lawn. This left an hour and a half until the music began. Everyone therefore started eating lunch, and I mean everyone. A crowd of predominantly 60-80 year old, fans I'd say who have aged with the Duo over the years, I checked, Phil's now 71, Steve is 70. Even 'young' Miranda Sykes is 46!!

At 3pm the pair sang a number of their classics. Then Steve's new band took the stage, Dream in Colours. They were absolutely terrific, three young musicians, Johnny Kalsi 'drums', Bennet Cerven, fiddle and Eliza Marshall a world class flautist, plus Steve. I can just see why it's time to move to something new, their energy was infectious. After this a singer from Cornwall whose name I've forgotten performed before the duo returned at around 7.30pm for their final finale. 


The final song, a meshing of Cousin Jack

I'd not say the crowd was rocking, more of an age where excessive foot tapping was in order, but they were loving it. We were really lucky with the weather too as on Friday night apparently it was a wash out. But then at 9.30 the band who produced the astonishing rural anthem album Country Life bowed out. No tears, just joy and good emotions, just how it should be, quit while you're at the top. And the drive home through the Dorset countryside at dusk was superb. What a great day.


Chav I know but an opportunity I couldn't miss.

I'll end myself with this cheeky selfie with Steve after he'd finished singing with Dream In Colour. They were all milling about outside the Merch tent and I'd been speaking to Eliza Marshall asking her what she'd been playing (a bass flute) and Steve was next to me. So I asked. My final memory of a duo I've a lot of time for. The band has gone but the memories remain.

No comments:

Post a Comment