365-2-50

365-2-50

Tuesday 30 April 2024

Tuesday 30th April 2024

 


Today Julie and I were meant to be in Axminster and working with alpacas. But the weather forecast was dire and the day has been postponed. I'd booked a day as leave anyway so instead of cancelling it I kept it. During the night when Gingernut keeps me awake, I thought I know I'll go and see the Richard Jefferies exhibition at the Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre in Chippenham. Julie wanted to go to Bath too. It's the same train so we caught the 09.35, direct service.

The exhibition is small but very well put together and while I looked through it Naomi Oakley popped down to see me. She's led the year long archive process to amalgamate three collections into one. The main collection was from Samuel Looker who in the 1930's to 1950's compiled masses of material about and on Richard Jefferies and published many essays for the first time himself. It's a great resource and one of the exhibits was this charming photograph of Looker himself with ice creams. I like this image a lot, there's real warmth of personality there I feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment