365-2-50

365-2-50

Friday 26 April 2024

Friday 26th April 2024


I call this cuckooflower, some Lady's smock. Whatever you call it the fact it is growing here is terrific. I'd just taken the Clio in for its MOT and walking back I noticed these flowering by the estate path. In recent years the Council here have let the verge grass grow throughout the summer. I've noticed wild flowers have begun to appear including cuckooflower but not near home. Not that is until today.  There's quite a patch of them. Did they arrive by chance as airborne seed, or, and more likely, they were always here as a farmland species before the estate was built in the late 1990's when this area was grassland and orchards?  However it got here it is a wonderful find on my walk back home. Just need to hear an actual cuckoo now, which were regular here until a decade ago. 


No comments:

Post a Comment