365-2-50

365-2-50

Friday 30 May 2014

May 30th 2014

 
Meet Jim Farthing. Say goodbye to Jim Farthing. This is Jim this lunchtime in the Highbury Vaults in Bristol being sent on his merry way to London. Jim started his career in NHU Radio in November 2012 when on his first day he joined us saying goodbye to Richard French his predecessor over a Highbury Vaults legendary chille con carne. The bar here is astonishing as it is crammed with stuff, mementos, post cards, toys, in fact anything people bring to this student pub. It serves good beer too and in the summer is awash with revellers in its wonderful but battered back .yard-cum-garden. Jim finished with us today and as a memento of his time with us we signed a Tweet of the Day book for him. He's off to be a Production Coordinator in BBC Comedy in Grafton House in London and will be a huge miss in our team. His great can do attitude and thinking ahead way of working has got us out of some pickles I can tell you. Good luck Jim, you'll go far. Jim is the future, and I love being with young people.
 
How I got to this stage in life when I start saying things like this is anyone's guess, but there is no getting over the fact I'm middle aged now. What I don't want to do however is be middle aged in outlook; I haven't been so far in my life. But it is interesting I feel this notion of no longer being young. One can not pinpoint a single event or a day but one day about 4 or 5 years ago I looked at myself in the mirror and didn't recognise myself. I was my father. Being around young people however is very healthy, they look forward all the time and I think today's children are very accomplished. To illustrate this as I drove in today the Radio 2 500 words competition was being announced on air. Susannah Ames "All the Time in the World" won the 10-13year Gold prize. A prize well deserved as this story almost made me stop the car and think about what she'd written, in 20 minutes flat. Just brilliant and available on line here :
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment